When I ask myself what kind of future I want to see for my children and the next generation, the answer that immediately strikes my mind is that I want a peaceful, healthy, and happy future where no child has to worry about the basic necessities in life. We live in a progressing world where people are evolving and innovations are being introduced at an exponential rate. The outcome of the progressive nature of this world has many good effects as well as bad consequences that our future generation will face. As days are passing by, it seems to me that the bad effects outweigh the good ones. The destitute are only getting poorer and the wealthy are only getting wealthier. The desperation for survival among the unprivileged people is inciting violence and crimes in many parts of the world. It seems as if there is apparent unrest in the world. The youth are the future. They will face the consequences of the actions of today. It is our utmost duty to make positive changes and make the world a better place. There are many factors that determine how the future of the next generation will be.
Socioeconomic is the reciprocal relationship between social issues and the financial condition of the people. The socioeconomic elements in early life have a sustained effect on one’s life and later contribute to health.
The primary socioeconomic factors that decide a person’s future and health:
Not only will education influence your choice of employment, but also will directly impact your health and your future. Your future occupation and income depend on your level of education. Your knowledge about the world and your ability to solve problems that life throws at you will be determined by your degree of education. Bangladesh is a developing country where the importance of education is still unknown in many rural parts of the country. Poverty is rising and buying a piece of bread for survival is more important than sending kids to school. But education is as important as oxygen is to humans for survival in this world. Education directly affects one’s knowledge of health too.
Health education includes:
- Your knowledge on balance diet
- How much exercise and physical recreation one must do
- Your ability to read and research- This helps to make reliable decision about your health
Problems we are facing in Bangladesh:
- Literacy: The UNESCO Institute for Statistics shows that approximately 30 percent of the population 15 years or older still struggle to successfully read or write.
- Poverty: Poverty makes people forget paying their fees. Parents eventually stop sending their kids to school.
- Lack of awareness on the importance of education: Families in rural areas still don’t know the value of education. They should be informed and educated on this matter.
What must be done?
- Create access to free education
- Public awareness on the importance of education through campaigns
- Provide improved education
- Provide recreational facilities such as sports and music
Employment is the state of being paid. It is the major source of livelihood and earning money for the people in Bangladesh. It creates earning capacity and workers’ entitlement to goods and services.
According to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, the Unemployment Rate in Bangladesh remained unchanged at 4.20 percent in 2017 from 4.20 percent in 2016. It is expected to be 4.30 percent by the end of this year.
The major causes behind unemployment in Bangladesh:
- Rapid Population Growth: It is the leading cause of unemployment in Bangladesh. It creates more addition to labor forces. So, creation of job opportunities is required. It is not possible to make new jobs at the same rate as population growth
- Seasonal Agriculture: Bangladesh is an agricultural country. People, mostly in rural areas, depend on agricultural occupation. So, during the harvesting and sowing season people are employed and during the post harvesting and sowing season people remain unemployed. It affects their standard of life.
- Limited land: Lands are constant, it cannot expand as population. But population is growing. So, it is becoming difficult for people to continue their agricultural operations.
Problems that arise because of unemployment:
- Not having enough money: It is the reason why people feel discouraged to go to see doctors when they are sick.
- Health Issues: Depression, low self-esteem, anxiety and many mental illnesses that result from being unemployed
- Economic Issues: People eventually become bankrupt as they cannot pay the debts they owe to banks and people.
- Social Issues: People commit crimes for survival which labels them a criminal and results in a social banishment.
How to reduce unemployment:
- Rapid Industrialization should be created. This is will create more job opportunities.
- Introducing Proper family planning program: Government should spread awareness, through campaigns, that discourages couples to have many children. There should be a restriction to how many children a couple can have.
- Improving the quality of education: People who are highly education and understands the psychology of children should be in charge of the education system.
- Developing the rural areas will discourage the migration of people from rural areas to urban.
The environment is the surrounding. It can be the atmosphere or the people. A child knows nothing when she is born. She sees her surrounding, the way people interact with each other, and learn their behavior and their approach towards other people. She learns from areas she spends a significant amount of time.
The main environmental factors that affect a child’s health:
Environmental Pollution: Environment pollution is nothing new. Industries, cars, and, most importantly, humans are the ones to pollute the environment. The black smoke coming from cars, smoke emitted from industries are poisoning the air and we are slowly seeing the effects. Implements such as banning carbon-emitting vehicles, encouraging people to use the electric vehicle,s and restricting industries from being built in places near residential areas should be taken.
Emotional bond with family members: The first environment a child experience is the one at home. She learns to talk, walk and behave from her surroundings. So, her family should show her affection and try to understand her feelings so that she can acknowledge and express her love and fears. This will shape her personality.
The relationship with your spouse: Parents are the first couple a child sees. The way you love and respect your spouse will teach her to do the same to her significant other. It is important to maintain a positive and loving environment at home, that way she will learn to maintain a stable relationship.
I want an imperishable and melodious future where my children will have the tools to be happy in their relationships, work, family, and community. A future where life and education are improved that the children are not just educated, but enriched, and not just skilled, but empowered. I want them to lead a life where they don’t have to worry about employment or income after finishing their graduation. I want them to learn how to balance themselves and the world around them. I want a future where no child has to worry about the basic needs in life- Food, water, clothing, shelter, education, and healthcare.
According to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, the Unemployment Rate in Bangladesh remained unchanged at 4.20 percent in 2017 from 4.20 percent in 2016. It is expected to be 4.30 percent by the end of this year. https://tradingeconomics.com/bangladesh/unemployment-rate
The UNESCO Institute for Statistics shows that approximately 30 percent of the population 15 years or older still struggle to successfully read or write. https://borgenproject.org/education-in-bangladesh-problems/